Monday, October 24, 2005

this closet's been too cramped...

...I'm coming out.

I don't like reading the Bible. Can't recall the last time I voluntarily read it. I think it was August. This isn't an at-the-end-of-too-many-years-of-Bible-college-it-just-feels-like-a-textbook malaise...this is a chronic disorder I've given in to for as long as I can recall. At different points, I've begged for an interest in God's Word. I've promised to read some everyday, no excuses, if only he'd give me a hunger for it so that I would truly love it. Hasn't happened.

It's not that I don't like the Bible itself, though. I do. I've got chunks of it memorized (thank you 12+ years of Christian education) and I like those chunks. And it's not that I don't like studying it. I do. I'm hard-pressed to think of something I enjoy more than talking with friends about God, scripture, and ideas about both. As ridiculous as it sounds for a non-Bible lover to come to Bible college, this is the very reason I came: I love God, I truly want to learn more about him, and somehow, on some level, I think I hoped it would all come together for me and I'd learn to love just reading the Bible, too.

Hasn't happened. Then, the time's not up yet, either. Eight more weeks. I'll keep reading. Maybe I'll surprise myself. Maybe he'll surprise me.

2 comments:

Graham Geisler said...

God can handle your honesty, Ceri... actually I am sure that He revels in it! I have struggled for years trying to create a law where God says (in my voice of course) "Thou shalt read..." There are good times and there are bad times... there are times when it is warm and comforting and refreshing, and times when it is, well, not. I always seem to come back to Peter who looked at Jesus and said (paraphrasing) "Where else can we go? You alone have the words of life..."

Sarah said...

So Ceri, how's your Bible reading coming along now that you're a graduate?