Wednesday, April 27, 2005

think you're a leader? look behind and see who or what is following.

New phenomenon at my house: Suddenly, I have (apparently) taken on some kind of big sister mystique. You know, the big sister is always the coolest, and the younger ones want to be just like her and go where she goes and have cool friends like she has.

It started with a spaghetti sauce jar. We thought we'd try out the upscale sauce that comes in a more square shaped decanter with measurement notches etched into the glass, similar to, but only three-quarters the size of, those old Mason quart jars your mom used to can the summer harvest of green beans and zucchini relish. As a teenager, I shunned soda (still do) and drank only water. My mom used to have cupboard full of jars like this, and I insisted on drinking my water out of them, because they're much more romantic than neon colored Tupperware tumblers. So, I cleaned up the jar when we finished our spaghetti sauce, and nostagically began using it as my drinking glass.

A few days later, I noticed my jar sitting on the counter at work. At least, it looked like my jar. But I was holding mine. . .so how could this be? It turns out one of my co-workers, who is also my dearest friend and one of my housemates (hitherto referred to as Homie, Bubbles, or Cream Puff) had admired my new water vessel and claimed one of her own.

Yesterday, I had a bottle of some weird herbal lotion with me at work. Cream Puff thought her hands felt a little dry. . .could she try some? I was happy to share, and glad that she liked my weird-consistency, oddish smelling herbal balm. My heart was furthered warmed today when she called asking me to bring it with me to work. . .she said, "Yesterday I got used to having soft, sexy hands. Today I feel like a lizard."

I'm fairly certain that she may post some sort of exculpation over on her blog, but don't let that vindicate her, because guess who got a blog first, partially inspiring her friend to hop on the blog bandwagon?

Seriously, if you fancy yourself a leader, just take a sec and see what kind of stuff may be trailing behind. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ceridwen (Homie, poopsquirt, my crunchy). How thrilled and honored I am that I inspired an entire post on your blog!
It's true, you figured me out. I do fully admire you and I wish I could be just exactly like you, no exceptions.
My next step is to wear sneakers with long flowy skirts and a t-shirt, never clean my room, consistently say, "halfting to," and poopsquirt (I haven't quite mastered the art).
The final step will be when I cut, die and straighten my hair to look just like yours.
Of course, I'll have to grow a few inches, loose some eyebrows, and have whatever Michael Jackson had done to his skin before I'm truly like you. I'm working hard at it, though. I hope you'll be pleased with the outcome.

Sarah said...

So now, yes, I must admit, I've also joined. (sigh) I just hope that this bandwagon isn't heading over a cliff . . .