Thursday, April 28, 2005

miracles, schmiracles

Miracles are overrated. People who pray for them ought to seriously consider the possible ramifications. (I started to say they should be shot, but wholesale execution seems a bit harsh.) When I think of miracles, I think of headaches.

What would I do with a floating axe head? I need mine to grind. Water to wine? I can get myself kicked out of college without any help from the Almighty. All the water turned to blood? No thanks again, 'cause that's just plain sick. Raise someone from the dead? See, now, that would mess with my head. A creepy hand apparition writing on the wall? Wrong on so many levels. Miraculous conception? Seriously now, I've got enough on my plate without an unplanned pregnancy.

I think I'll pass on miracles. Maybe they're not all they're cracked up to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well now, let's not just look at the glass as half-empty. I know there are a few miracles you wouldn't mind. For example, wouldn't it be nice if a tornado came through your room and it was suddently all permanently in order, no matter where you toss things? Also, I know you still dream of Prince Charming coming along. You need to consider that might take a miracle.
My point? Don't diss miracles, they might be just what you need some day.